It is riddled with corruption, poverty, and hellish traffic, but there’s still a lot to like about warm-hearted and sunny Manila — the capital city of the Philippines.
Here are some of the things to do when you find yourself in town:
- Check in at The Corporate Inn Hotel Manila along Kalaw. This accommodation in Manila offers top-notch service and very reasonable rates. Our rooms and suites come with air-conditioning, LED TV, Wi-Fi access, as well as a hot & cold shower. In addition, the Manila accommodation also has a business centre, massage service, car rental, and ample parking space. Rates start at PHP 1,788 or $35/ night.
2. Visit Fort Santiago. The former headquarters of the Spanish colonial administration and served as a prison during the American and Japanese occupation.
3. Check out the Spolarium at the National Museum of the Philippines
4. Grab some lunch at Binondo. Try the dumplings at Dong Bei, the signature fried chicken at Sincerity Cafe & Restaurant, the famous hopia at Eng Bee Tin Bakery, and the deep-fried asado and bola-bola at Shanghai Fried Siopao.
5. Sip Cuban rum, smoke hand rolled cigars, and dance to pulsating salsa beats at Cafe Havana at 1903 M. Adriatico Street. You also have the option of enjoying cold beers and cocktails at Fred’s Revolucion in Escolta.
6. Experience traditional Filipino favorite at Ilustrado on General Luna Street. For Spanish cuisine like the paella negra and those tasty tapas from Casa Armas at Nakpil Street.
7. Say a little prayer or just admire the century-old architecture of San Agustin Church and the Manila Cathedral.
8. Feast on fresh seafood at overlooking Manila Bay at Seafood Wharf on South Boulevard.
9. Go on an adventure at Manila Ocean Park.
10. Take a stroll through Rizal Park and check out the monument, ornamental gardens, and open-air chess pavilion.