Boracay Island, Philippines — If you recently inquired or booked a stay at Boracay Haven Resort or any other hotel in the island for that matter, there’s a pretty great chance you’ve heard about the government’s controversial decision to close the country’s premier tourist destination for rehabilitation.
There are many rumors circulating online right now so here are a few facts to help everyone get a better grasp of the situation:
1.The planned 6-month closure will begin on April 26, 2018.
2. Boracay will be closed to tourists only.
3. Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo said the government with the help of private sectors will assist tourists who had already booked tickets and hotel rooms during the period covered by the closure.
4. A bulk of the work will be fixing the sewerage system and garbage disposal system of Boracay.
5. The government are expected to dismantle illegal structures on forest land and properties that violated the 30-meter easement rule – the distance from the shoreline where construction is allowed.
6. The Department of Labor and Employment has assured local workers whose livelihood are affected by the closure that an initial 5,000 people will be paid minimum wage.
7. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque also said that the amount of manpower needed for the clean-up could provide jobs for the locals.
As for Boracay Haven Resort and its sister properties, all tourist services will be closed until further notice. For modifications and other solutions, feel free to reach the resort in Boracay at the following contact information:
Boracay Haven Resort
Station 2 Tirol Rd,. Brgy.
Balabag, Boracay Island,
Malay, Aklan Philippines
Tel. No. Manila: +(632) 815-0849 / +(632) 668-5146 / +(632) 834-0053
Tel. No. Boracay Resort: +(6336) 288-5729
Mobile Number: +63 922 876 5780